An out of shape dog often has an out of shape owner. While there are ways to exercise your dog while being lazy yourself, it only makes sense to get in shape together. Just like people, dogs that are healthy and fit are happier and live longer.
Your dog doesn’t ask much from you but provides so much. Give your dog and yourself the gift of fitness and longevity.
● Be sure to keep an eye on your dog. It’s not always easy for them to figure out how to get out of the pool when they start to tire.
● Consider how much time wolves, coyotes, and foxes spend “hiking” each day. It’s a very natural activity for your dog. At one time, humans spent most of their day hiking, too.
● Biking together might take a little practice and training to make it work, but it’s worth the effort.
● Take it easy if you haven’t been running recently and consistently. Consider this to be an advanced activity for both of you.
● Some owners have taught their dog to walk on a treadmill, but that doesn’t help the owner get in shape!
Dogs love to be active, but they’re quite content to sleep the day away if there’s nothing interesting going on. Just because your dog is content lying around all day doesn’t make it acceptable.
You can share time and get in shape together. Lose a few pounds and increase your fitness together. You’ll both have a great time.